In 1852 a competition was organised for architects to submit designs for a new town hall building in Leeds. Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Houses of Parliament was retained as judge. A young architect from Hull called Cuthbert Brodrick won the £200 prize.
In February 1853 the council decided to proceed with Brodricks design, but without the tower.
Samuel Atak a local builders tender of £41,835 was accepted and construction started July 1853, ln 1856 £5,500 was authorised for the tower but because it was a late addition work continued some time after the official opening, the bell was not hung untill 1860 and was cast by the Cripplegate bellfounder John Warner and son.
The bell is 6ft 2ins in diameter and weighs 4 tons 1 cwt, another late addition were the two pairs of lions on either side of the main entrance, they were sculpted from portland stone by William Day Keyworth of London and sited in 1867.
Queen Victoria opened the Town Hall on 7th of September 1858 the Great Hall shown in Brodricks design was dedicated to her and became known as the Victoria Hall.
You are viewing panorama No.39 (Leeds Town Hall,The Headrow, Leeds), one of 166 Virtual Reality 360 degree views of Leeds.
Map and aerial view of Leeds showing the location of Leeds Town Hall,The Headrow, Leeds at Latitude 53.79966296296292 / Longitude -1.5479629629629551.
We have visited Leeds on a number of occasions to produce this tour, this page was created on Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:18:15 +0000.
5 Day, 10 Day, 15 Day long range weather forecast and current conditions for Leeds Town Hall,The Headrow, Leeds, Leeds