The grand 17th century house at Temple Newsam, set within 1500 acres of park and woodland, is a magnificent Tudor and Jacobean mansion whose name derives from the Knights Templar who held the manor from 1155-1312.
From 1622 to 1642 The house belonged to Sir Arthur Ingram, a London merchant who had become wealthy through a series of royal appointments to James 1 and Charles 1.
His loyalty to the Crown is plain for all to see: a dedication to the king is picked out in letters around the balustrade of the house. The inscription around the top of the building dates from 1628 and reads as follows:
You are viewing panorama No.134 (Temple Newsam House), one of 166 Virtual Reality 360 degree views of Leeds.
Map and aerial view of Leeds showing the location of Temple Newsam House at Latitude 53.784189 / Longitude -1.459154.
We have visited Leeds on a number of occasions to produce this tour, this page was created on Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:18:16 +0000.
5 Day, 10 Day, 15 Day long range weather forecast and current conditions for Temple Newsam House, Leeds